Skip to main content

Happy Holidays.. sometime ago

Cog in the coffee machine checking in-- Feliz Ano!

A very good friend of mine apparently brought to my attention that my blog has not gone down the drain with my unpredictable and intermittent postings. Thank you, Miss A <3

It has been almost two weeks into the new year and... work has gotten pretty toxic. Poor husband has been listening to me vent since coming back to work, and more than anything I am determined to get my post-contract plans sorted out in case staying in the public sector just doesn't work out in the long run.

I took two weeks off towards the end of December after three months of work. Honestly, I'm not sure if I recuperated-- after knowing leave periods now are capped to two weeks maximum (because apparently leave is a privilege that should be enjoyed very little as it turned out, but interesting that some people were let off the hook so questioning the justice in that is only human and sensible?). Not to mention the abhorrent practice of answering work queries on leave... but now it's all F it, whatever. I am probably one of the most delusional civil servants out there who still holds on dear to the idea that this pipedream of a work-life balance is achievable. Seriously, my counterparts in the States have wayyyy more serious stuff on their plate and yet they strive for that.

This kind of work culture is like signing a death note.

GOOSEFRABAA.

***

My previous leave was a milestone of its own as it is our very first travel as a family... with a baby in tow. We tend to hear a bit of negativity whenever relatives and friends talk about traveling with a baby. I get discouraging comments about babies crying due to the discomfort of cabin pressure during take-off and landing, the anticipation of having plans thrown out of the window because baby's needs have to be met regardless.

A lot of misadventures and unfortunate circumstances during the trip by the way :(

Anyway, packing for the trip was a pain because we had to add on the little one's miscellaneous items and truth be told it could have amounted to baby having his own luggage haha. It was a challenge for both of us since little bear was already in the early stages of solids, so we thought we could resort to BLW (baby-led weaning). Or spoonfeeding organic purees in case we are always on the go.

Did NOT happen.

He had mashed potatoes and the next thing we knew his eyes were puffy, his nose runny and he went insane rubbing his face. Another time when we spoonfed him some mix of organic purees, he went puffy too.

Bad mother.

***

Miss A asked me what to bring when traveling with a baby. I'm pretty sure I'm not the most qualified to dispense such advice, but adequate change of clothes, diapers AND a nursing cover/cape are prerequisites or you'd be setting yourself to doom. We brought less for a 9-day trip thinking we would be buying new clothes, but we forgot laundry arrangements. We brought plenty of diapers but we still had a few pieces when we headed back. We brought a few plush toys, but he liked his bolster better.

I only had one nursing cape, and I wish I had purchased another one.

If baby has started solids... it all depends if you're doing BLW or doing conventional/traditional weaning. BLW would mean a mess, but there would be no need for baby food processor and the like-- the good thing about this is that you'd be traveling much lighter! I have to admit, I was so hell bent on doing BLW, but after three allergy episodes, I just had to accept that maybe it is not for my son. Heart was broken. Then again I'd continue beating myself up endlessly if BLW meant risking the little bear's health... tough choices.


Stroller or baby carrier? I would say BOTH. There would be times baby would want to sleep and the stroller has better positioning to accommodate the hibernating little one. A baby carrier would help you get stuff done while your baby wants to cling on. Hehe.

Just like having a baby, traveling with a baby does not come with a manual. You can prepare so much, consider everyone else's advice, eventually you will only learn the do's and don'ts when you're in it.



One thing I liked the most about traveling with my little family? The little bear is probably the happiest little bear on the plane! I kid you not-- take-off and landing were no issue for him. It's the lack of attention paid to him that gets him antsy.

Should you dread traveling with your little one? Absolutely not. Forget about people's anxiety about having babies on board because of the possible inconsolable crying and aberrant fussiness-- those people are literally assholes who forgot they were babies before becoming adults, jeez.

Yes, I hated that Instagram post on @bgag.bwn on parents traveling with little ones. If you choose not to take your babies to travel because they don't have any recollection of their time in (insert city), then so be it. For those who bring their babies along, it is a widely accepted fact that babies can't and won't recall the trip, but only God knows that for some parents, it might mean saving a marriage or an attempt to keep a damn family together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fine, delicate (non)balancing act

Contrary to what everyone else sees or would like to believe, I have a well-functioning conscience. Today, it is cloaked in guilt and unease, marred by the knowledge that I have the convenience of being close to work yet I still stumble over several challenges in balancing motherhood and a career. I'm not offering excuses or doing the whole woe-is-me nonsense. I'm not venting about how my life is worse than yours or anyone else's. I am just writing to voice out the frustration I've accumulated these past few months... ones that I have never really articulated so well, save for snippets of angst over silly Instastories which some have found humor in.. phew. First of all, I am a full-time working mother in an organisation that prides itself on being the nation's defenders... or something along those lines. Occasionally, this job demands me to work over the weekends, monitoring the world's happenings... which by the way doesn't get clocked in. Let's not

Work, Pump, Repeat: A Mama on the Go

I love long weekends. It's a much welcomed respite considering "leave is a privilege and not a right" but if it really is, then you can probably start asking why the general rule allows us 3.5 days off for every month of work.  (and to whom it may concern -- what are you doing here and why are you even reading this?). This long weekend is all the more welcome considering that this is after two grueling weeks of being trampled over at work for multiple reasons: problematic personnel, frustrating administrative arrangements and ad hoc stuff that has pretty much defined my work (and husband's). Today is also my son's half birthday, hehe. And a replacement public holiday in conjunction with the Prophet's birthday (PBUH). Being a working pumping mom, I tend to struggle with finding a safe, comfortable space to pump. Which reminds me... I should share this story. My first one was for a week-long workshop on GO and FR which was in October. Despite the fact