Skip to main content

Pregnancy Chronicles: Part Tres

Not sure if this post is coincidental with the third installment of my "Pregnancy Chronicles, but I have decided to dedicate the third "Pregnancy Chronicles" for my third trimester adventures.

In a nutshell-ish manner, of course.

1) (More!) Physical Changes.

Let's start with that ballooning body that literally everyone who sees you knows well you are SOOOO pregnant.

Many close friends of ours know that husband and I decided to keep this first pregnancy on the down low until little one arrives earthside, as evidence shows (or doesn't show lol) on our social media at least. As much as I enjoy the shock factor this baby brings to so many people, there is no way I can hide this wherever I go, haha. My pet peeve? When people I/we don't even meet on a frequent/daily basis start asking/interrogating me/us about it... without any consideration to convey congratulatory wishes.

"When are you due?"
"How far along are you?"

And this one is what has set me off this trimester: "your tummy look so small!"
(How big are women supposed to be in third trimester, seriously?)

Body dysmorphia doesn't go away even at this stage when your body is supposed to grow to make room for the little one. I hate stepping on the weight scale, I hate the numbers that show on the screen too. And I can recall my bouts of worry after seeing a drop of even a few hundred grams, because suddenly I start to doubt myself about being of "a normal size for a pregnant lady bear"... maybe people think I am unhealthy?

2) People.

Really people, the slew of questions, remarks about body size, and the unnecessary interrogation are not always taken as a package filled with well-wishes. Your congratulatory wishes are not implied in your curiosity. You can probably ask some of the ladies who are expecting, and you can bet many if not most would feel offended even the slightest at the lack of decency to wish her well. It's not because she is conceited and self-centered, but more of the fact that well-wishes more often than not are considered thoughtful.

3) Final Stretch of the Honeymoon Period.. sorta.

I'm writing this on a day off... after having slightly stronger contractions yesterday. Yesterday, I felt my tummy tighten and all I did was grin, talk to my husband through gritted teeth while my right hand held on his left arm tightly as my tummy became more intense. Though they were just practice contractions (*phew*),  I am pretty much on the watch for anything funky in my sight or more regular funny sensations around my tummy. I also want to sleep so much these days, but my bathroom trips around 3am just makes it hard for me to go back to sleep, and I often end up waking my husband so he could lull me to sleep. I'm not sure who is the baby here really. And even if I don't fancy going out these days, I would try to muster the energy to be wide awake even at 10pm after watching a movie. Oh, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was SO good... sans my vomiting rounds because I think some restaurant's sambal penyet was too much for my tummy to take. Thank God my almost empty popcorn bucket came to the rescue!

4) Religion and Stuff.

What brought me the most consolation about keeping this pregnancy hushed is a post an acquaintance shared on her Facebook page regarding "Sunnah on Pregnancy". This will probably earn me some scoff and eyerolls for coming across as holier-than-thou, but please bear with me when I say I am doing this for good reasons that Allah knows best:

"There is a general principle which should be taken heed of when telling others about blessings. The news should be given only to those who wish good for you and will rejoice over it, so as to ward off the evil eye and destructive envy (hasad)." In one hadith narrated by At-Tabarani, the Prophet (pbuh) said: “Be discreet in order to achieve what you want, for everyone who is blessed is envied.”

Someone asked me if I would have a baby shower or a gender reveal cake and I was puzzled as to why she asked that. "Wouldn't that be fun?", to which I responded with this: "Not everyone is genuinely happy for you" in a tone that actually shocked two people when they heard it. You never know who harbors jealousy and envy... these things often manifest in subtle ways that you may just not realize it *sigh*

Please do not mistake my privacy stance as condescension for those who choose to tell the world about their upcoming bundle of joy! I love looking at maternity photographs! I really enjoy looking at glowing mommies-to-be and the creative themes people come up with. I love pregnancy announcements and friends sharing their ultrasound photos and videos. Plain and simple, it just is not for me.. you should see how awkward I look in my wedding photos and my husband was a damn pro with his poses. *roll eyes*

I do know people have gender reveal parties and baby showers, but I choose not to. I don't measure the authenticity of my friendship with people by the frequency and ability of the people to surprise me with life event parties. It is not important.

But I can already visualize at least one family member insisting on a mandi belawat at this point -_-
 
5) Birth Options/Choices

The only thing that I am willing to compromise in a hospital birth is the suturing in the event I sustained a tear post-birth. Other than that, I don't want further interventions. I feel strongly against an episiotomy-- this is an unnecessary procedure that has sadly become hospital routine-- and I choose to manage my pain naturally in sha Allah. If Maryam gave birth without all the stuff we have now, in sha Allah it should be adequate right?

Toodles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays.. sometime ago

Cog in the coffee machine checking in-- Feliz Ano! A very good friend of mine apparently brought to my attention that my blog has not gone down the drain with my unpredictable and intermittent postings. Thank you, Miss A <3 It has been almost two weeks into the new year and... work has gotten pretty toxic. Poor husband has been listening to me vent since coming back to work, and more than anything I am determined to get my post-contract plans sorted out in case staying in the public sector just doesn't work out in the long run. I took two weeks off towards the end of December after three months of work. Honestly, I'm not sure if I recuperated-- after knowing leave periods now are capped to two weeks maximum (because apparently leave is a privilege that should be enjoyed very little as it turned out, but interesting that some people were let off the hook so questioning the justice in that is only human and sensible?). Not to mention the abhorrent practice of answering w

fine, delicate (non)balancing act

Contrary to what everyone else sees or would like to believe, I have a well-functioning conscience. Today, it is cloaked in guilt and unease, marred by the knowledge that I have the convenience of being close to work yet I still stumble over several challenges in balancing motherhood and a career. I'm not offering excuses or doing the whole woe-is-me nonsense. I'm not venting about how my life is worse than yours or anyone else's. I am just writing to voice out the frustration I've accumulated these past few months... ones that I have never really articulated so well, save for snippets of angst over silly Instastories which some have found humor in.. phew. First of all, I am a full-time working mother in an organisation that prides itself on being the nation's defenders... or something along those lines. Occasionally, this job demands me to work over the weekends, monitoring the world's happenings... which by the way doesn't get clocked in. Let's not

Work, Pump, Repeat: A Mama on the Go

I love long weekends. It's a much welcomed respite considering "leave is a privilege and not a right" but if it really is, then you can probably start asking why the general rule allows us 3.5 days off for every month of work.  (and to whom it may concern -- what are you doing here and why are you even reading this?). This long weekend is all the more welcome considering that this is after two grueling weeks of being trampled over at work for multiple reasons: problematic personnel, frustrating administrative arrangements and ad hoc stuff that has pretty much defined my work (and husband's). Today is also my son's half birthday, hehe. And a replacement public holiday in conjunction with the Prophet's birthday (PBUH). Being a working pumping mom, I tend to struggle with finding a safe, comfortable space to pump. Which reminds me... I should share this story. My first one was for a week-long workshop on GO and FR which was in October. Despite the fact